Nautical Information Service (nIS) is a free multilingual application for smartphones, intended for owners of yachts and boats, fishermen, divers, swimmers and other people who spend time on the coast and at sea. nIS was developed so that users could provide substantial and detailed information to the local harbormaster’s offices and other services for navigation safety, prevention of marine pollution, and especially to search and rescue services, in a quick and simple way. nIS can also provide users all the necessary information important for their safety, at any time and at every place.
nIS enables users to dial a phone number used for distress, urgency or safety calls - 195 (MRCC Rijeka), while automatically reporting location of the caller via a short text message (SMS), which essentially reduces the time needed to find users in danger.
Contents of the nIS application:
• phone call to the toll-free number of the search and rescue service – 195, with information on current location
• maritime violation report (with an option to attach photos and/or videos)
• weather forecast for mariners (air temperature, wind speed and direction, air pressure, waves, cloud cover)
• navigation rules (vessel equipment, order in ports and at sea, avoiding collision at sea, marine environment protection, information for foreign vessels, divers and swimmers, radio service and radio notices, maritime marks)
• public services contacts (search and rescue, harbormaster's offices, hyperbaric chamber, commercial salvage, consulates, medical institutions, emergency services, VTS service, coastal radio stations)
• ports and anchorages (marines, nautical anchorages, petrol stations, border crossings)
Stability and performance fixes.