The Zero Waste challenge is about making a conscious effort on leaving behind zero waste by practicing the 6 R’s on regular basis. We do realise that this is not possible overnight and one person or a small group of people cannot create a mentionable impact but spreading the word around, the will to change, constant effort and realising the notion of “One man can make a difference” this can be achieved.
We have 7 R's in our application which does the following
* Reduce means reducing the amount of waste we produce on a given day. According to a study, an average Pakistani produces 6 pounds of trash every day. While the abstract idea of reducing one’s waste can be overwhelming, a great place to start is within the comfort of your own home.
* Reuse means, using the same thing over and over; either by you or if you don’t want to use it anymore, donating it to someone who would use it. You can reuse our belongings in a number of ways e.g.,
By reusing glass jars and small pots to store small items, old clothes can be used to cushion covers or teapot cosies, old tyres could be used for making tyre-swing, rechargeable batteries could be used instead of regular ones
In context of this app, we would collect your unwanted clothes, food, books, toys and other belongings and would be delivering it to the charities of your choice on your behalf. Upon delivery, the receipt would be sent to you for your record.
* Recycle means reporting your dry garbage to Amal through the recycle module. These recyclable items would be sent to the relevant business for recycling. Our representative would collect the recyclables from your location, weigh them and pay you can on the spot. In addition to this, you would also receive Green Points for recycling your garbage.
Recyclable waste includes (but is not limited to) plastic bottles, empty soda cans, glass, wood, paper, cardboard etc.
* Replant is a lifelong investment. How well this investment grows depends on a number of factors, like selecting a location, care while planting, and follow- up care; but all this starts from sowing a seed. Play your part by planting a tree, taking a picture and uploading it on the “Amal for life” app. You can plant multiple trees or take weekly pictures of the same plant and make a timeline video out of it to inspire others.
* Request a bin is to segregate your trash. For that you would require extra bins. These bins are available all over Pakistan but if you want Amal to get that bin for you, click on the Request a bin button on the below menu and get Green Points along with the bin of your choice.
* Report-it means filing a complaint if you see garbage lying around your house or while you are out and about. This requires special commitment and dedication towards the environment. Play your part by taking a picture of stray garbage and uploading it on the “Amal for life” app. Our app would forward this request to the relevant authorities and would follow an escalation workflow to the higher authority in case the garbage is not picked up within a reasonable time frame while keeping you in the loop.
Amal enables you to become a good citizen and environmentalist. Download our application and help make us our environment clean, green and safe for our upcoming generations.